Tuesday 30 October 2012

May 6, 2012

The winners were announced yesterday in the 2012 World Beer Cup in San Diego.  A full list of winner can be found at <www.worldbeercup.org> but I will mention my highlights below.

I take perhaps a bit too much pleasure in this but Labatt's 50 took silver among fourty-six entries in the Golden or Blonde Ale category.

Others that stood out for me were Amsterdam's Framboise which took bronze among twenty-eight entries in the Fruit Wheat Beer category;  King Dark Lager took silver among thirty-four in the European Style Dark/Munchner Dunkel stakes;  Cameron's Dark 266 won bronze in the German-Style Schwartzbier competition against fourty-three competitors;

I always have a chuckle when I see 50 win something like this.  Unexpected things happen in a blind tasting and beer fanciers have had several moments to compare with the notorious tasting, in the 1970s I think, where California wines scored higher than French wines.  I can think of two movies inspired by this event. 

It is entirely possible that we are little more than poseurs.  I look forward to the day when, alongside figures for abv and ibu we have something to tell us how much street cred we gain (or lose) being seen drinking a particular beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment