Thursday 27 December 2018

December 21, 2018

367/2588) The 3 Brewers, Adelaide:  Flanders Delight, also known as La Tripel by The 3 Brewers of Ontario:  **1/2; 7.2%; sweet nose; dark sugary flavours, fruity; a very nice tripel;

I was in town for the Solstice.  This is something of a tale of redemption.  The last two times I was here I ordered the IPA and I could not believe how different it was from the marvellous IPA that Justin makes on Mavis Road.  At first I thought I had been poured the wrong beer - scarcely any hops at all.  This Tripel in the Belgian style, however, is one of the best beers I have had at a Three Brewers and now I am looking for an excuse to return to Toronto.

368/2589) C'est What:  Old Tyme Gingerbread Porter by Oast House of Ontario:  **; 5.3%; wonderful gingery nose; spot on gingerbread flavours;  ideal for the season;

I had hoped for redemption here as well but I was disappointed.  I spend much of the year looking forward to St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout.  I had ordered a glass on an earlier trip to Toronto and I tried it again hoping for a better experience but again it was a disappointment.  It could be that the recipe has changed or it may have suffered outrages during shipping from Quebec but the wonderful notes of oak, bourbon and vanilla have been replaced by flavours of red wine vinegar with a hint of Windex - revolting.

No comments:

Post a Comment