Saturday 7 May 2011

May 6, 2011

171)  Ten Feet Tall in Toronto: Cobblestone Stout by Mill Street Brewery of Ontario:  **1/2;  slightly sweet with notes of mocha;  this is one of my favourite Ontario stouts;

172)  Ten Feet Tall:  Hoptical Illusion Almost Pale Ale by Flying Monkeys Brewery of Ontario:  **1/2;  lots of hops to the nose and taste, but not nearly so extreme as their Smashbomb;  it's one to savour and it will likely be enjoyed by a wider audience which can only be a Good Thing;

173)  Linsmore Tavern in Toronto:  50 by Labatts of Ontario: *;  well, it was cold...

I can explain.  In Notes On A Beermat, Nicholas Pashley cites the Linsmore as possibly Toronto's last remaining old school tap-room and a visit has been on my list for a long time.  When I saw that it was almost across the street from where we were going out to eat I had to drop in, though I did so alone.  I have a feeling someone was expecting to see me flying out a window but I survived, even if I didn't exactly blend in.  There were two taps, both reading 50, the glasses were tiny and the decor was Spartan.  I wasn't used to getting so much change back, either.  I later calculated that I left a 73% tip (and this on top of the tax) which is OK because the next time I am in the area I am going to repeat the experience.

Ten Feet Tall, by the way, is fun and kitschy right down to the menu.  They are housed inside old LP covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment