Thursday 31 January 2013

December 31, 2012

246/646)  Caffe Volo:  Tactical Nuclear Pengiun by Brewdog of Scotland:  **1/2; this was going for $10 per 1oz serving;  I nursed mine for a full half hour;  it checks in at an astounding 32% ;  it was served at room temperature as recommended by the brewer;  strong, intense nose;  it is a tart, sharp tasting blend of alcohol, red wine, roots, fig, raisin, resin, dried fruit, Christmas cake flavours;  incredibly complex;  in my notes I decided it tastes & smells like best cough syrup ever; 

This is created using a process akin to freeze distilling and for this reason, Stephen Beaumont feels this is more like a spirit than a beer and as a result he awards Utopias the honour of highest alcohol content for a beer.   Read more at http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/214

247/647)  Caffe Volo:   Old Crustacean Barley Wine (2008) by Rogue Brewery of Oregon, U.S.A.:  **1/2;  suprisingly hoppy nose (grapefruit) for a barley wine;  citrusy flavours, grain notes;

248/648)  Caffe Volo:  XS Imperial Stout (2008) by Rogue Brewery of Oregon, U.S.A.:  **;  on opening this one Tomas said he was sniffing 4 years of aging;  nose is raisins, fruitcake sparkling wine;  frothy but astringent mouthfeel;  I thought I detected grape flavours;

This was a terrific evening hosted by the Volo.  The idea was they would be opening bottles from their cellar every half hour according to a pre-set schedule, five ounce portions until they ran out.  On the half hour they rang a bell and more treasures emerged.  I hurried to get there by 6:30 for the Brewdog offering.  Had I stayed until midnight, I would have been there for the Westvleteren XII.

It worked out very well.  I was concerned that things might get out of hand but thanks to their decision to be careful with the Brewdog I was fit to visit Tracks after the bus reached me to the station and as I was sitting near the window wondering if I should order something to eat my wife and daughter spotted me.  They joined me for a drink and I accompanied them to the music outside the Rose Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment