Sunday 28 August 2011

August 26, 2011

Time for another link:  one of the things that has discouraged me, and likely many others, from giving home brewing a try is the quantity that you have to produce.  Not only is storage a concern but what if it turns out less than ideal?

The Brewers' Market http://thebrewersmarket.com/store/ sells growler kits, which produce two litres and bucket kits that yield five litres.  Billed as the $49 Microbrewery, they have six styles of beer which are updated every once in a while.  It sounds a bit expensive for $49 but it comes with a fair bit of gear.  Refill mixes are $25 each, which is not bad for four pints or so.  Extra points for supplying milled grains and not just malt extract.  This alone gives you a head start over a number of brewpubs if you're a purist.

As I understand it there are a few things you need to supply for yourself, like pots, funnels, strainers and the like.  I haven't tried it yet but when I do I will supply a report.  I am uncertain as to whether or not I would count it towards my total.  My goal has been to come up with beers that, at least in theory, anyone could chase down hence my reluctance to list the one-offs.  On the other hand, anyone reading this can order from the Brewers' Market.  I will give it some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment