Monday 1 August 2011

July 27, 2011

261)  In our living room at the Albert at Bay Suite Hotel in Ottawa:  Loyalist Lager - Oaked by Barley Days Brewery of Ontario;  *1/2;  very smooth;  oaking adds layers of complexity;  I enjoyed this more than most lagers;

262)  Pub Italia, Ottawa:  1855 by Kichesippi Beer Company of Ontario:  **1/2;  a very rich, very subtle dark ale;

We bought three 650ml bottles at the brewery in Picton on our way in to town.  All three are oaked which I found intriguing.  Like many Ontario craft breweries, it is a very small outfit but it was nice to drop in and sample a couple of beers.

I have to visit Pub Italia whenever I am in Ottawa.  First off, the interior is beautiful - it's like a cathedral.  If there was a pub in the Vatican it would look a lot like Pub Italia.  The menu is pretty large but it can be summarized as your standard pub fare with an extra helping of Italian dishes.  I always enjoy my meals there and the mussels were a hit with those who ordered them.  It is described as an Irish-Italian pub but I didn't see quite so much Irish influence.  They have a terrific beer list that pulls no punches.  I recommend you go on line at http://www.pubitalia.ca/beer.html and seek out their comments on Crest Super Lager and Faxe.

No comments:

Post a Comment