Monday 18 November 2013

October 24, 2013


265/913)  Beer Academy:  Brewed Awakening Porter by Six Pints Specialty Beer Company of Ontario:  **1/2;  on cask - a first for the Beer Academy;  an Espresso Porter infused with twenty shots of espresso and one half pound of coffee beans;  the nose is dark coffee grounds;  the flavours are a blend of coffee and espresso;  thin mouth feel, not unusual for a cask;

This was the opening night celebration for this limited edition cask and the re-introduction of their very first beer, a porter.  I took home a couple of bottles of this as well. 

I was in town for a CD release event featuring Mike Murley and the University of Toronto Jazz Orchestra.  As he was signing my disc I related my story of the first time I encountered him.  It was a hot day in 1984 and I was intending to go to Paupers (I still haven't been).  I heard this incredible racket coming from the Brunswick House and there were three saxophones, a stand up bass and a drum kit and the musicians were all clad in loud shirts, berets and sunglasses.  I have been a Shuffle Demons fan ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment