Saturday 26 March 2011

January 22, 2011

Today's beers were consumed at the Burger Bar and Tequila Tavern in Toronto at January's Cask Ale Social.

28)  Red Dragon by Durham County in Ontario;  **1/2;  an ESB on cask with nice colour and nice hop notes;

29)  Bog Father Gruit Ale by Beau's All Natural Brewing in Ontario;  **1/2;  brewed with bogmyrtle;  gruit is a mix of herbs, twigs, spices, etc. - gruit did the job of hops before they became common;  hints of cola among so very many other flavours and aromas

30)  Barley Legal Barley Wine by Church Key of Ontario;  **;  very high octane which was nice on such a cold day;

31)  Maple Porter by Nickel Brook of Ontario;  **;  a good, solid porter with hints of maple;

I had never been here before but I will certainly return.  It was incredibly busy but if our barmaids were stressed they didn't show it.  They were unfailingly pleasant and efficient.  The place looks just like the saloons featured in the vintage Westerns that play on the screen above the bar and it's kid-friendly:  there is even a spot for stroller parking. 

The Oh My Goodness This Just Might Kill Me burger is one of the two best burgers I have ever eaten.  I did survive but just barely.  I look forward to my next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment