Saturday 18 August 2018

August 9, 2018

As promised during the election campaign "Buck-a-beer" is back, at least in theory.  A better way to put it might be buck-a-beer is no longer outlawed. 

I didn't drink it back then and I wasn't expecting to drink it now but with Barley Days announcing they are on board I might give it a try.  We have been there a number of times in the past and we liked their brews.  It sounds more like a one-off but the publicity can't hurt.

Other craft brewers have been quick to denounce this and I'm not sure why.  I never imagined it was created with them in mind in the first place.  It comes across as snobbery of the first order.  One would think the purveyors of  rent beers like "Red Leaf Lager" or "Anitgravity Light Lager" would be a bit meeker.

What's worse, it has drawn attention to the taxpayer largess many craft brewers benefit from.  They don't seem in a hurry to return any of this dirty, unprincipled money, either.

It is similar to later closing in my view.  After a show at the Rose Theatre I was surprised to arrive in time for last call at Tracks Brewpub at 11PM.  Roger said he was happy he was allowed stay open but he was concerned that in doing so he might attract the sort of crowd that would discourage types like me from visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment