Saturday 3 August 2013

February 9, 2013


31/679)  Caffe Volo:  Long Dark Voyage To Uranus by Sawdust City Brewing of Ontario:  **1/2;  that's not a bum joke - it's really what the beer is called;  they hope to get this into the LCBO - I suppose stranger things have happened;  bitter, mocha nose;  dark coffee notes;  another great stout and another great beer from Sawdust City;

32/680)  Caffe Volo:  Root of All Evil by Great Lakes Brewing of Ontario:  **1/2;  a root beer stout;  licorice nose;   rooty, herby flavours with anise notes and distinct root beer flavours;

We had just come from a performance by the Shuffle Demons at the Pilot, which is a great place for jazz on a Saturday afternoon.  I met someone there who had received the same warning that I did, only in my case it came from no less than a manager.  It seems that the Pilot attracts some serious jazz fans and they take up all the tables well over an hour in advance of the show.  It sounds a good idea, why not enjoy some lunch beforehand?  The thing is, they are Very Serious and they will shoot darts from their eyes at anyone who dares speak during a performance.

Me, I camped out at the bar so I was immune.  Besides, I shut up when the music is playing myself but today I was corrupting my daughter by taking her to a jazz club.  She liked it a lot:  the music and the grilled cheese.  She was not impressed by the Volo, however.  She found it too dark but she will learn in time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment