Thursday 6 August 2015

March 28, 2015

65/1339) Harbord House:  Sir Nigel's Brown Ale by Junction Craft Brewing of Ontario:  **;  5%;, 24 ibu;  very murky, like chocolate milk - or mud - with a mildly hoppy nose, which I found surprising;  mildly sweet with rich hazelnut flavours;

66/1340) Harbord House:  Octopus Wants To Fight by Great Lakes Brewing of Ontario:  **1/2;    6.2%, 88 ibu;  brewed with eight malts and eight hops;  someone tried to sell it to me as sessionable;  cloudy;  grapefruit and tropical fruit nose; citrusy flavours with tropical notes;  someone thought they tasted Juicy Fruit gum;

A Google Image search of "Octopus wants to fight", or even "drunk octopus wants to fight" is rewarded with a photo of the graffiti that tickled the fancy of someone at Great Lakes.  This was subsequently available for take away from the brewer:

 
67/1341) Harbord House:  Pompous David by Great Lakes Brewery of Ontario:  **; opaque;  hoppier than I remember Pompous Ass being;  rich malty nose;  mild cigarette like smokiness;

This was a Cask Social event.  The Harbord House is not to be confused with the Harbord Room.  They have Black Katt on tap.  I must go back.

68/1342) Thirsty and Miserable:  Bricks and Mortar Coffee Porter by Left Field Brewery of Ontario:  **1/2; 6%, 40 ibu;  brewed in collaboration with Pilot Coffee Roasters;  Kenyan Kii coffee beans were added directly to the tank during the seven days of cold conditioning;  coffee nose with a  touch of mocha sweetness;  rich coffee flavours;

Brewed to mark the opening of their bricks and mortar brewery location.  Until now they were strictly a contract brewer.  I suppose we can forgive no baseball reference.  

The highlight of the day was meeting my eldest son at Thirsty and Miserable and sharing a bottle of Omnipollo Hypnopompa Imperial Stout.  He was impressed enough to take a photo of the bottle.  I hear tell these are hand painted which means each one is a bit different.  I might have met him earlier but I think I let it slip that Cask Socials feature a lot of people who sort of look like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment